Links & Resources

Insurance - Group Liability


Often Large Commercial Beekeeping Operations have an overall Farm Insurance policy to cover all elements of their business, while some beekeepers may be able to add an endorsement to their Home Insurance policies to cover beekeeping only on their own property. For those desiring coverage for bees on their property or when moved to someone else’s property, this could help you.

For those Hobby Beekeepers having a few hives of bees in their back yard, and neighbouring houses close by, this could be the protection needed. This type of insurance has been in place for members of the British Columbia Honey Producers' Association (BCHPA) for many years, and is also available for beekeepers in Manitoba. This coverage could also be important if you are involved in promoting honey and perhaps showing bees at Farmers Markets, plus wanting coverage for part-time of full time employees.

The Co-operators will extend group liability insurance to individual members of the Manitoba Beekeepers Association and Red River Apiarists Association through a certificate of insurance issued in the name of the member under the Associations’ Master Policy which provides coverage to a limit of $2,000,000 per occurrence plus the duty by The company to defend the insured including the costs to do so. These certificates will provide you the liability coverage you will need to carry out operations normally considered usual to a beekeepers operation (i.e. keeping bees on your own property, or on others, conducting tours of operations, providing industry education, moving bees and equipment, having employees, etc), plus attend trade shows, fairs, exhibits, etc. and are available for $45 per year.

Commercial Liability Insurance is designed to pay those sums for which an insured becomes legally obligated to pay because of bodily injury or property damage caused to another through pursuits of the insured business. In addition the Member Certificate provides coverage for:

Bodily Injury and Property Damage:                      coverage $2,000,000
Annual Aggrgate on Products & Completed Operations:   $2,000,000
Personal Injury:                                                         coverage $2,000,000 
( injury other than bodily such as Oral and/ or written publication of materials that slander/ libel a person or violate their right to privacy).
Medical Expenses:                                                 coverage $2,500
( these are amounts that become payable for bodily injury caused by an accident for which the insured may or may not be legally responsible to pay including things like dental services, ambulance, etc).
Bodily Injury and Property Damage deductible - Each Occurance:      $2,500

Simply review the Certificate of Insurance and if this coverage interest you, complete the RRAA or MBA Membership Application Form and forward initial $45.00 fees (Cheque payable to MBA) and mail to:

Manitoba Beekeepers' Association
c/o Box 192
Baldur, MB R0K 0B0
1. Future billing will be sent directly to certificate holders by MBA Treasurer.
2. New Insurance applications may be held to coincide with Certificate renewal date on or about 3 May of each year.
3. Neither the Red River Apiarists' Association, nor the Manitoba Beekeepers' Association, nor their directors or executive or board members or staff shall be liable for errors or omissions in describing or summarizing any group liability benefits, as benefits and policy terms are subject to change without notice.
Page updated 2 March 2014